Why should you quit smoking? Whether you have been smoking for a year or for forty years, you are doing damage to your body, and risking your health. Of course, if you smoke, it is one of the most difficult habits to break. There are so many products out there that can help you to quit, and if you have even thought about quitting for one quick second, then you may be ready to quit!
Here are 10 great reasons to quit smoking:
1. Your body will start to repair itself immediately after you stop smoking. It is never too late to quit, you just need to want to try.
2. You can reduce your chances of becoming sick with cancer.
3. Smoking messes with your sleeping patterns. If you smoke heavily, you may suffer from sleep apnea or you may snore, both of which prevent you from getting a restful night’s sleep.
4. You have that “cough”. The more you smoke, the worse the cough gets, and once you quit, that will stop. It won’t happen right away, of course, but the longer you remain quit the more that cough will clear up.
5. You won’t be the “social leper” in the group. These days it is difficult to find a place to smoke. If you are in public, many city bylaws state that you must be at least five feet from a doorway. You cannot smoke in restaurants, on airplanes, and many hotels have a “this is a non smoking property” signs. You have to go and hide somewhere just to have a cigarette. What kind of a life is that?
6. You will save money. If you smoke 20 cigarettes a day and a pack of cigarettes costs $10.00 (it does in Canada, anyway), you will save $3,650.00 in one year of not smoking. What can you buy with $3,650.00?
7. You have children. Imagine having to tell your children that you are dying because you smoke. “Kids, I have cancer….” “Kids, mommy is dying and won’t be here for your graduation/wedding/support for the rest of your life….”. Basically, you will be checking out early, you won’t be around to see any events in your family’s lives.
8. Your hair/car/clothing/breath won’t stink like cigarette smoke. Even if you are an extremely light smoker, you do have a distinct odor, and you can be smelled from very far away. It does not matter if you wash your hands and chew gum, the smell lingers on your clothing and in your hair.
9. Most smokers die young. There are some cases where smokers live to a ripe old age, but they may have emphesema or be bedridden, unable to move freely because they cannot breath properly.
10. Your circulation will get better. Smoking can cause circulation problems, leaving you with cold hands and feet.
There are plenty of reasons why you should quit smoking, so if you wonder to yourself “why quit smoking”? then you should make a list of the pros and cons. I am betting the the cons will outweigh the pros without a doubt.